Friday, February 11, 2011

Assignment #4: Budget Plan

I've been working on this budget plan for a few days now and I'm having tremendous difficulty with it. Sure, it seems easy, just finding out how much things will cost, but I have to look up wages for specific occupations and positions that I won't even be using. I'm not getting an actual budget for this project. If I need items, the money is coming out of my own pocket. I understand the importance of doing a budget plan, but there are so many factors that don't apply to this particular production.

Of course, I've run into some problems. For example, sites that make DVDs and DVD cases aren't any help when it comes to needing a quote on burning copies of DVDs, and though this one site I found says they'll burn the DVDs for me, they don't list an option to send them the DVD information I need burned. So how do they expect to burn the DVDs when they don't have the information to burn on to them? I have no idea.

And we needed to look up the wages for producers, directors, and SAG actors, but naturally I couldn't find specific information, even searching the SAG and WGA websites directly. I had to Google questions about how much producers and directors make, but only found salaries per year and not wages per hour or per movie.

This budget business is very frustrating. I fear that I'm doing this wrong and that I won't have the correct information when I turn the assignment in. Good thing this isn't a real budget plan because some of the numbers I've discovered in the researching process are insanely high, and I can't imagine ever being able to afford the production costs of my video if it were a legit thing (and not some silly zero-budget student project).

Did you know there are programs out there that use money from students' tuitions to create an actual budget for film students that they can access and legitimately fund their movies with? Yeah. Guess where I'm going for graduate school.

No comments:

Post a Comment