Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Musical Potential

For me, music plays a large role in the quality of a movie. When the perfect song is timed just right, it can make a significant moment just click for the audience and leave them with a different feeling than they would have if there was no music playing. I'm a huge fan of the indie genre and therefore many songs I like have a catchy yet unique sound, which translates very well onto the screen, especially when timed correctly.

Therefore, it's understandable that this semester is going to be difficult for me because I can't use any of the songs I like. I either have to find someone to play a different version of what music I'm listening to or find someone who has a band and have them play the score/soundtrack for my movie.

Luckily enough, there is a peer in my screenwriting class who has a band. Now, I have yet to listen to his music but I did check out the band's website (http://notimetothink.bandcamp.com/) and the lyrics are pretty interesting. I also have my classmate, John, helping me with piano music. He's played one song already for me which I'll probably upload later.

Unfortunately, I'll have to wait until I have footage cut together before I can accurately use the music or not. I might use it for credits, but the scene I envisioned it to while I was writing has been edited so much that the music no longer fits the situation. I might consider going to the music department on campus and seeing if I can find anybody who is willing to provide samples or compose music for me based on a compilation of notes from several other songs.

No comments:

Post a Comment